BadPrinter2 is born!
Here it is, the new BadPrinter2, completely redesigned! Starting from the experience of the BadPrinter2 prototype seen at the MakerFaire in October 2013.
The idea is to build a reliable, easy to use and maintain machine; the first objective is quality of printing, so the precision positioning of x and y axis and layer height is the main target that we want to achieve; this, combined with the awesome E3D all metal hotend gives a very good finish on the printed part, good dimensional precision and layer deposition consistency.
We hope that this machine is not simply “another 3D printer” that has good-looking design or fancy features. The BadPrinter2 was built on our experience and the experience of the 3D printing community and it is made to be a reliable tool, especially for the 3D printing experts, but enough easy to use also for the beginner of 3D printing.
The H-bot gantry movement remain the main characteristics of the machine, but improved with the use of completely new movement system. Here are some of the feature and characteristics that you can find in our printer:
- Anti-Racking: The use of industrial-grade linear guides prevent any type of play on any X, Y and Z axis. The H-Bot, single belt design is commonly affected by racking issue due to play in the bearings and lack of rigidity. The BadPrinter2 does not suffer from racking due to a rigid structure of the carriage and the use of preloaded linear guides.
- Steel, laser-cut frame: the frame is completely metallic and laser-cut. The idea is to have a very rigid structure and also an heavy frame to have less vibration. Moreover it is possible to have the best 90 degrees angular precision between x,y and z axis.
- Two All-metal hotends (E3D) and extruders: the machine born with two hotends, in future we think about the possibility to offer a single end version, but we think that a printer with already this provision can be more flexible to use, using two colors or two materials for complex printing; all-metal hotends guarantee a very short transition zone between cold and hot end giving a precise control of filament flow.
- Belt tensioner: the belt is captive in the x carriage and with a simple system it’s possible to regulate the belt tension with a screw.
- Extruder spring tension: it is possible to increase the preload on the extruder idle bearing spring in case to control filament slippage or to adapt to different filament material (e.g. flexible)
- Any filament: the only restriction in filament is to use 1.75 mm that is the diameter of the hotend, but no proprietary filament, no proprietary cartridges, you can use any filament you want. Mainly PLA, but also ABS, nylon ecc..
- Megatronics v2.0: the core electronics is the megatronics v2.0 from Reprapworld with support for the driver DRV8825 with 1/32 microstepping. The series printer will include the new Megatronics v3.0. The firmware included is the well-tested Marlin and the Megatronics include a micro sd card reader to print as stand alone.
- Graphic LCD: the direct interface to the printer is by an encoder and 128×64 LCD display that supports the Marlin graphic interface.
- Raspberry Pi ready: the printer has provision for install a Raspberry Pi giving external access to ethernet connector, Usb and HDMI. In combination with the octoprint distro for RPi, it is possible to print and monitor the printer remotely by network (cable and wireless adding a wifi dongle).
- Glass Bed: the heated bed has a removable glass plate, with quick disconnect clamps that allow easy part detachment at the end of the print. As medium to stick the part to the bed we use hairspray that do perfectly the trick. Anyway you can use any medium that you want such as blue tape, bi-adesive tape, glue stick, etc.
- Partially self replicating and open source: The Badprinter 2 rely on open source firmware (Marlin) and open source hardware (Megatronics and E3D) so all the machine will maintain the same philosophy. Some of the parts are self 3D printed, that means that is possible to print spare parts for the machine itself. It is also possible to re-print all the parts in different color if you want to make contrast with the all-black structure.
Now let’s go to a deep testing period; stay tuned for updates and new feature to come.